Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Laundry Day (among other events)

I woke up this morning at 9:45. I got out of bed at 10:25. And that was how my day began. After showering and such to be picked up at one, I started laundry, expecting a load to take about the same amount of time as it would back home, like 30 minutes... No way. It was still going an hour later when I had to get my butt out the door. I think a load takes about 2 hours here, no jokes. I can't believe it, it's INSANE. No dryers, either. That will stink, I'll have to just get over it. I love taking clothes fresh out of the dryer...but none of that for a few months.

I'm rather sick of eating sandwiches all the time. It's kind of pathetic, really, because all I have time for is just packing a lunch before leaving the house, and since we don't have leftovers because we're never here at night to eat a proper meal, that means packing a sandwich. I'm going to have to buy some soup or something to keep at the Centre, because all this sandwich-business is driving me bonkers. (Though I love sandwiches, even I have my limits.)

One thing I am VERY much looking forward to, however, is this Thursday. We have St. Patrick's Day off, and my friend Kerry invited Lexie and I to her church's Irish meal they're having! Authentic food! I'm thrilled. And even more, I'm thrilled to see the church she loves so much, the church I will never get to truly be a part of because of some awkward tension between them and YFC (they don't allow us to go in and do children's messages like the other Protestant churches but they totally welcome our attendance...so weird). It's a Vineyard church, so perhaps that's why--it's the only contemporary church in town. No matter, I'm excited to finally see this place. And raise my hands in worship, regardless of who is at my side. And sing ON KEY. And everything else. Oh, I'm excited.

A list of things for you to Google and get a taste of Northern Irish culture:

1. "Come Dine With Me"--a television show
2. Thai sweet chili--a flavor of sauce for sandwiches and whatever else you can put it on
3. Ulster fry (find out for yourself, I've yet to have one)
4. going to the "chippy"
5. the Twelfth/William of Orange

Ready, set, go. I'm waiting for my laundry to finish.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I read that you were tired of sandwiches like... many post ago. How depressing that you are still eating sandwiches. I'm so sorry. I heard about the stew and I've seen pictures of what looks to be delicious food, so I'm so glad it stopped!

    But 2 hours for a load of laundry-just washing? WOW! I've got it made here.

    Do you have any funny stories about the pants thing? Because that seems like it has a lot of humorous potential.

    ReplyDelete