Friday, March 18, 2011

"Come Dine With Me", part one

What a day. Man alive. But a grand day indeed.

The evening began with the girls, Sarah and Sarah (who are leaving for Madagascar in just over a week! For three months!), shuffling about Ben's wee kitchen trying to make their Northern Irish dinner for the Americans. And really, it was quite good. Except my stomach was very upset with me the rest of that evening, and a little bit into the following morning as well.

Starter: potato and leak soup, courtesy of Sarah F. I love nearly all soup, so of course I loved this.

(By the way, please note the lovely presentation, with the Christmas tablecloth and the orange Fanta in such nice glasses. We kids sure now how to set a table.)

Main Course: Ulster fry, courtesy of Ben...which has been a sore spot of the evening, everyone has taken out the disappointment on him I think. (Ben, if you're reading, know that I don't blame you. I think it's just a weird dish to make on the spot, perhaps.) I don't want to say I hated it. I really don't. But a third of that plate would have been plenty. I am not a man. I eat like a bird.



Dessert: Aero mint cheesecake (left), as well as pavlova (right), courtesy of Sarah G. (Aero is a brand of chocolate, look it up. And they don't bake their cheesecakes here.)


The entertainment was great, there were quotes galore, and now the Americans have to strut their stuff next Friday. If you've any ideas, please let me know. We're still trying to put together a menu... If it were up to me, I'd definitely be making my go-to fave of all time, tator tot hotdish. But maybe I'll just do it another day--if I don't eat it soon, I will begin to forget what it tastes like. And that is one meal you cannot make in a single portion size.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! NO SANDWHICHES!!! Dang, that looks good.

    I'm sorry, I can't help you. If you can't serve ranch, then there's no point.

    Just kidding.

    I wish I had a better idea of what they don't have over there. Go all out and do something like... I don't know... Uh... Yeah, I don't know! I'll let you know if I think of something! Haha

    ReplyDelete