Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day One, Pt. Two: Pancake Day?

So, I must have written too soon because so much has happened since that post. I met a million faces (or at least a dozen), shook many hands, went into several shops to post flyers with Lexie, my fellow American intern, and even walked past The Snooty Fox! (A store I marveled at when looking at Scotch Street of Dungannon via Google Maps, and today I actually stood in front of its shop windows. Livin' the dream, kids.)

And apparently, today was Pancake Day. That is, the day just before Lent when everyone eats pancakes to get rid of the last of their butter, eggs, and fats--those foods you're not to have during Lent. Or at least, that's what this site told me just a few minutes ago. Every time I asked what Pancake Tuesday was when they talked about it, I would get in response, "You don't have Pancake Day? You've never heard of it?" and I was the weird one. But tonight, I had a pancake. For the cause. Before I even knew what the heck all the fuss was about. That's right, folks, I partook in a cultural event tonight.

(Oh, and I got to inform a new friend about mac & cheese store-bought packages. He didn't know it came like that in America. Cha-ching. And then he gave me his UK converter because he got it in a multi-pack from America when he was taking a trip there, so now I don't have to buy one! Hooray!!)

Now, it's time for me to suppress my excitement and glee and instead take a snooze. It's nearly 2am here, and I'm wide awake. No, jet lag. You will not control my body. I will sleep now.

Goodnight, America.

2 comments:

  1. Pancake day. What a wonderful thing. :) That's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so what are the major differences in the cultures? Do you talk about that in a later post?

    What if someone in Ireland read that? You are excluding them from your "goodnight"? Just curious.

    Omgosh, I have a lot to ask but I guess I've got to keep reading. Sad.

    ReplyDelete