Saturday, March 12, 2011

A few short things (because I should be sleeping):

1. Today, I got to see kids. FINALLY. They exist! And they're just precious.

2. I burnt my tongue on my cup of tea after the Fired Up event. Man, they take their tea HOT. Like, basically boiling. It's insane.

3. After said event, I ran into a boy I met at the young adult's group on Tuesday evening. Well, he tracked me down. I think he might have a crush on me. Anyway, this kid is crazy. (I swear, I must attract loonies as friends.) But the exciting thing of the conversation was that...he told me I could pass for a Northern Ireland girl because of my demeanor and way of presenting myself. That's major points in my book! Granted, as soon as I open my mouth the jig will be up...but still. I take that as a badge of honor. (Even if he does have a thing for me. But he's leaving for Poland in a week or something...so don't worry, kids, that won't be going anywhere.)

4. Someone told me I had a great American accent today. And he knew where Minnesota was, because he asked if it was near Wisconsin (which he mispronounced, but hey, can't win them all). That's a first! Usually people are so confused when I say where I'm from. America is just too big.

5. My friend Sarah taught me the ways of a Northern Ireland grocery store. They're different than ours in America, for real. You wouldn't think it, but they are. She is so cute. (Oh, and her brother kept making fun of the Americans for the way we speak...like "oh my goodness" and "so cute"...I will kick that man.)

6. Tomorrow, we're going to speak at the Methodist church. I don't know which church it is, but I'm sure it's beautiful and hundreds of years old and just a dream. I'm excited. But I wish I would've brought more traditional-church-friendly clothes. Oops.

7. An ongoing thing: I can keep up with the humor here! That's a huge deal, apparently. They're really sarcastic here (which they call "slagging" as in "keep up with the slagging," or "I'm slagging you"), and they always say, "You might have a hard time catching the humor, most Americans don't understand it." BUT I DO! I'm so glad I have sarcasm running through my veins. And I'm so glad I never got rid of it permanently during all my confusion of whether or not it was "okay" to be a Christian and be sarcastic. Anyway, I can keep up and hand it right back. I've impressed a few people already.

That's all for the moment. Time to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. 1.) WHOA KIDS EXIST! That's awesome!

    2.) Burning your tongue is NOT fun. Not at all. I just thought you should know, although it's probably all healed by now, that I've been there. ;)

    3.) Maybe your future husband in Northern Ireland. If he is, I'd be majorly jealous.

    4.) Ha, so one time, I was on my way to CHICAGO, and a guy who worked at some rundown gas station didn't know where Minnesota was! Maybe he was thinking we were talking about a town, but still... Wow, I give that guy props!

    5.) This Sarah chick seems sweet. I want to meet her. What are the ways of a Northern Ireland grocery store?

    6.) How was speaking at the church? Next post? Right.

    7.) OH MY GOSH. I would SO FIT IN THERE! I am so sarcastic. Haha.

    ReplyDelete