Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Kids Club, night one

Tonight we had KFC, and it was the first time kids came since I've been here! Hooray! There were a few episodes of misbehavior (from the Anna kids, of course), but other than that, it went well. They're really starting to catch on to the fact that God matters, that He loves them, and that He's important. It's beginning stages, of course, but still. They're starting to learn that it's important to live for God, otherwise you're living for nothing. And that's why I'm here. I realized tonight that most of the problem with the kids that act out is that they don't know what to do when proper authority figures are placed in their lives. Their parents have kind of given up control over them, and they act out in order to get the attention they want, even if it is negative attention. They don't have any boundaries in their lives, so when we tell them that they're not allowed to swear or hit or steal, they don't really get it. They don't get why we care. I'm really looking forward to what the Lord does with them while I'm here in Dungannon.

Ben and I shared our taste in music today, which was more a blessing than he probably knows. I've been missing music suggestions in my life. Though I do like a lot of different music, I generally don't branch out to finding new bands until suggested to do so.

AND, on the way home, I was able to keep up with the sarcasm in the car! Jonny, a volunteer at the Centre, was surprised, and Ben said, "Oh yes, she's quite sarcastic"--to which Jonny said, get this, "it's refreshing," (because of the whole Americans-don't-get-slagging thing). Yeah! Look who's winning at NI culture!

Oh, and by the way, I've recently been asked via comments a lot of questions about different posts...so if you have any questions about what I've written, please let me know! I sometimes forget that people don't know what I'm talking about when I mention people or places because they grow so familiar to me that I somehow assume everyone knows what I mean. So do interact with the blog. It's encouraged.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to hear more about the Anna kids... Like, at first I thought it was like a family, or something. But now, I'm wondering if it's the name for kids who have lives like that? Idk. I want to hear more about those, though!

    And this Ben kid...

    Hoorayy for keeping up with the sarcasm! You're never going to wanna come back to the States.

    I enjoy interacting with this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete