Monday, April 11, 2011

Belfast Brilliance

My day was fab. Absolute class. I love Belfast, I really do. At least, the part of it I saw. I walked around City Centre, which is the part around the City Hall building.

And I went into many, many shops. (Don't worry, Mom, I didn't purchase something at all of them. Basically all of it was just browsing/killing time until I got a text saying to meet somewhere.)

But I navigated on my own. Well, once I knew the general direction of things just before being dropped off. But still! I'm quite proud of it. I thought, surely I'll get lost at some point today. Nope, made it out alive. Perhaps my directional challenges are starting to leave me. Or maybe I'm just gaining confidence in my wandering skills.




Accent update: I notice that the more I speak with the Northern Irish, the more I pick up their sing-songy inflections. I've almost completely stopped saying "too" (choosing "as well" instead), changed all my "umm"s to "emm"s, and gotten quite good at saying "oh, right". And I'm getting better at writing with their slang, using "awk" when I remember. Oh, and yesterday I used the word "craic"! It felt awkward and a little forced just because it was my first time, but no one said anything. It's so easy to use "wee", though. Because it's in almost every sentence anyway. But the "so I did/so it was/so it does" doesn't quite come as naturally...as in it doesn't come at all, so it doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment