Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My Yesterday

You know what?
God is good.
So good.
Blow-your-mind good.
Make-you-smile-and-not-know-why good.
Jump-up-and-down-in-the-road-and-be-pushed-out-of-the-way-by-your-friend good.
Laugh-when-someone-makes-fun-of-you good.
Sit-back-and-ask-how-it-could-be-this-good good.
God is good.

After a really difficult weekend at certain points, and some tears shed and sleep lost and many wee rants over Facebook Chat and Skype with lovely ladies from back home, I had a very great day yesterday.

It started out with a much-too-early wake-up in order to catch a ride in. And I was drained right from the beginning. I'll be honest, I didn't pray anything when I woke up, but if I would have it should've been, "Lord, just help me keep it together today. That's all I want."

When we went into the office, I was just counting down the time until I was to go and get my haircut, an appointment long overdue and scheduled two weeks prior (and was long overdue at THAT point). And I wasn't really too excited about spending so much money on hair...£19, which is twice that in USD...love it. But it went well, and I'm more than happy with the results. Paula at Hairizon, you are a STAR.

And then, it was lots of waiting. I helped out with a few wee tasks in the office, and I wrote a letter for someone back home, and then waited for detached work in the Milltown playpark. And no kids came. Not one child about, of any age. So I played on the swings, something I haven't done in ages.

For KFC that evening, we only had two show up--both girls, and both repeats. One four weeks in a row, praise the Lord we're finally starting up a regular attendance (even if it is small). They played ping pong, and I got out my set of Bananagrams upon request by the 4th-timer because we played it last week. And when the epilogue lesson was given by another intern and I could tell that the two girls didn't understand it at all, I did something I normally wouldn't. I jumped in and said, "So girls, do you kind of understand what that was about and what it means then?"

Blank faces. Just staring down at the Bananagram tiles.

So, it was time to go off-the-cuff in ministry. No paper sitting in front of me, no platform to stand on. Just sitting there on the carpet with two girls and trying to explain the gospel without putting on a "teacher" voice. And God gave me the words to speak, and even if the girls didn't understand it a whole lot better, at least it was rephrased. And I got to be a part of it instead of sitting in the background under wraps.

And all throughout this day, I had some of the best conversations ever. I slapped Ben on the back of the head multiple times for his Mexican jokes (which he only makes because I told him my background), and I told him that we're going to be best friends before he knows it. He's really the best brother in Christ I could ask for. Because the thing with me is, as much as I do enjoy have girl friends, there is always a need for me deep down to have one really solid guy friend whom I can tell basically anything to but still joke around with like that. And when all of those people left Crown this past year...I didn't have one of those anymore.

But praise the Lord, because now I do again.

Praise the Lord for he is good, and his love endures forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment