Monday, May 16, 2011

Belfast At Night

Yesterday was a typical Sunday for much of the day. Church in the morning, then I watched a movie during the afternoon and worked on my sock knitting (it's coming along nicely, Mom!). But that evening, I went to Belfast to this huge church they have there.

Well, to be honest, it's not that huge. It's called Whitewell, and it's quite large considering the size of Northern Ireland and the size of churches in general here. To be honest, I didn't really like it. It was ultra-commercial, and I didn't appreciate the pastor's style one bit. But I always enjoy hanging about with the group we came with (all from the group that was at the Potluck), and they always bring quite a bit of humor along with them. Following the service, we went for a tour of some of Belfast done by the only guy in the group, who knows the city quite well because of his four years studying at Queen's University (which is beautiful, by the way, and apparently right up there with Cambridge and Oxford in prestige). We drove up a mountain (a.k.a. really large hill) to see Belfast Castle (a.k.a really large, brick building--but still quite beautiful), and then drove past many wee ins-and-outs of the city which made my love for this country grow even more. You look at some of those streets, and you see Europe in its best form. Bad news, though--didn't have my camera. So no pictures to commemorate this event. However, I do very much plan to go back, and I'll be armed like a photographer that day. Promise.

This past weekend was one of very little sleep, and very much social activity. Props to myself for being out and about are in order, I think. Good thing, too, because this week will very much be one of workworkwork in order to prep for a team of 17 Americans (well, they're actually from Minnesota, and they're actually from Marshall...so it'll be like looking people from home straight in the face, surreal) coming over this next Monday, the 23rd. Ay yai yai. So brace yourselves for possibly very little of me, or very uninteresting blog postings. One or the other, it'll depend my sleep patterns for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment